When it comes to spills and messes, you just clean them up – right? Apparently not. There is a wrong way to clean some messes or the wrong technique to use, period. Keep reading to find out about six common cleaning mistakes that we all have made but need to avoid in the future.
The Truth about Cleaning
It drives you crazy but it is a necessity. We are talking about cleaning. You put it off as long as you can because, well, you don’t want to tackle the chore. It takes time and lots of elbow grease. Some products just don’t work like they claim and that means even more work for you.
Cleaning the wrong way could lead to costly repairs or replacements. Who knew there was a wrong way? Knowing how to clean can save you from more than just time wasted.
How to Clean: Avoid These 6 Common Cleaning Mistakes
1. Dusting after you vacuum – You’ll make more work for yourself if you do it this way. Even with a new-fangled duster you will have particles flying through the air. They settle on the carpet, tables and furniture. If you vacuum first, you will have to do it again after the dust has cleared.
2. Using more product than needed – It may seem like one capful or two cups is not enough, but when you use more than directed you are asking for problems. First, the fumes from some cleaners can cause problems for allergy or asthma sufferers in your home. It could even knock you out. It also leaves more product to wash off. Have you ever tried to clear a sponge of soap or other project but it kept on bubbling? Residue may remain not only on sponges but on surfaces.
3. Scrubbing the carpet – If you have a spill, use a towel or a paper towel to blot the excess moisture first. Then, use a stain remover and follow the directions on the bottle. Scrubbing or rubbing vigorously will result in a wooly-looking spot on your carpet where the fibers have unwoven.
4. Spraying furniture polish on surfaces – Instead of spraying directly on a surface, spray on the cleaning cloth you intend to use. Now, the cloth can collect dirt and trap it on a moist surface instead of making it fly up and then resettle once you’ve moved on to clean something else.
5. Not following package instructions – Ever wonder why you don’t get the results you desire sometimes? It could be because you didn’t follow the instructions. They are there for a reason so use them.
6. Cleaning windows on sunny days – The sun will dry the cleaner faster than you can wipe. It will leave a streaky finish after all your hard work.
When it comes to cleaning there is a right and wrong way. Do you know how to clean the right way?