My absolute favorite meal to share with friends and family is brunch. There is something about gathering in the late morning to spend time together that is so wonderful and even sacred.
Enter Overnight Apple French Toast. Filled with the favorite tastes of Autumn, it is an easy-peasy make-ahead dish that everyone will love. Using apples and cinnamon as a topping makes is just perfect for the season, when fresh apples are readily available.
- 1 small loaf any crusty bread, sliced into 1" slices (I try to use whatever I have leftover)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1-2 cups of sliced apples
- sprinkling of cinnamon
- In a 13"x9" baking pan, arrange the sliced bread in the bottom, so that the whole bottom is covered.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sugar, maple syrup, and spices. Wisk together thoroughly.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure to soak all the pieces of bread in the egg mixture.
- Place the sliced apples on top of the egg-soaked bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Now, you can either bake this immediately OR put it in the refrigerator overnight and then take it out and bake it in the morning.
- When you're ready to bake, put the baking dish, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
If you’d like to make this taste sweeter, you could drizzle the finished dish with caramel sauce, or serve with a dollop of whipped cream. I find the french toast plenty sweet as is, but you have options.