Making Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments is a fun olfactory sensory activity. Children can smell the applesauce and cinnamon as they mix them together and cut out the holiday shapes. While baking the ornaments, the cinnamon will make the whole house smell so good too!
How to Make Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments:
- 2 Cups of Apple Sauce
- 2 Cups of Cinnamon
- Wax Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters
- Paint/Paintbrush (optional)
1. Pour 2 cups of apple sauce into a bowl.
2. Add 2 cups of cinnamon.
3. Mix until the mixture has a spongy texture.
4. Put the mixture between 2 pieces of wax paper.
5. Roll the dough flat till it is about ¼ of an inch thick.
6. Use cookie cutters to make the ornaments.
7. Use the straw to poke a hole at the top of each ornament.
8. Bake at 200 degrees for about 2 hours.
9. Let cool completely
10. Put ribbon through the hole and tie a knot at the end to hang the ornament.
Optional: Children can paint the ornaments and they will continue to have that wonderful cinnamon aroma.
Cost to Make Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments:
- 2 Cups of Apple Sauce: $2.00
- 2 Cups of Cinnamon: $2.00
- Wax Paper: 5¢
- Straw: 1¢
- Ribbon: 5¢
- Paint: 25¢
Total: Approximately $4.36 for about 20 adorable, handmade keepsakes!
Every activity has a Teachable Moment! What is a Teachable Moment? It is a time during every craft or project when you can teach your child something about the activity.
1. Have your child compare and contrast how the ornaments feel before and after they are baked and cooled.
2. When adding the cinnamon to the applesauce, use 1 cup and discuss how the mixture is not the correct consistency and the importance of following a recipe.
Want to make another homemade ornament? Check out our Salt Dough Ornaments. Take a look at our other fun holiday sensory activities too including Christmas Tree Ball Painting and Holiday Chex Mix.
Lou Lou Girls
Monday 29th of December 2014
Hello cute lady! I bet these little gems made a lot of people happy! Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We love to party with you! Lou Lou Girls
Sunday 14th of December 2014
What a great activity for the kids. We have to try this soon!
Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!