The state of Virginia is one of the oldest states in the U.S. after Florida. The settlement of Jamestown is a famous historical site, having been founded in 1620. Since then, Virginia has grown into a major U.S. state, home to large corporations, important agricultural industries, and sporting teams.
As you study the United States with the kids, try out these Virginia crafts for kids! They’re perfect for a Virginia unit study, a geography lesson, or just some fun crafting time!
If you enjoy making these crafts with the kids, be sure to check out these Pilgrim Crafts and Activities to learn even more about the first English settlers to America!
Virginia Crafts for Kids:
1. Virginia’s state bird is the cardinal. This super cute foam Cardinal Craft is a simple project to try!
2. The Tiger Swallowtail butterfly is the state insect of Virginia. Learn about this butterfly and others in this printable Butterfly Identification Cards pack!
3. Virginia’s harbor town, Norfolk, is an important trade destination. Large commercial ships and naval vessels sail in and out of the harbor every week. The kids will love making this easy Triangle Ship Craft!
4. Located on the Eastern seaboard, Virginia is bordered on one side by the Atlantic Ocean. Let the kids make their own ocean ecosystem with this fun Egg Carton Ocean Craft!
5. The Brook Trout is the state fish of Virginia. Make this Fingerprint Fish Craft with your toddlers!
6. Virginia has an adorable state slogan: “Virginia is for lovers.” The kids will “love” helping you make this sweet Clothespin Lovebug Craft!
7. In colonial Williamsburg, you can get a look at how life was for the early European settlers during the 17th century. These DIY Tin Can Lanterns are a perfect craft to make as you learn about colonial history!
8. The state mammal of Virginia is the Virginia Big-Eared Bat. This fun Hanging Bat Craft can be made with a toilet paper roll!
Do you have any ideas you’ve used to make Virginia crafts for kids? Share your thoughts in the comments!