This Hawaiian-style medley is a fresh alternative to a vegetable side dish. Hubby & I, as well as our Japanese exchange student all just love it! It is definitely a “go to” for us now! We have eaten it many times…as a side dish a few times…and as a main dish by adding chicken cubes and by adding pork cubes – at different times, of course. We have eaten it with rice and without….with coconut flakes and without. We haven’t found a way that we don’t all like it!
- 3 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 medium red bell pepper cubed (1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper cubed (1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper cubed (1 ½ cups)
- 1 medium red or yellow onion cubed (1 ½ cups)
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. dark or light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. sweetened coconut flakes optional
- 1 Tbs. lime juice or 2 small wedges of lime
- 1 cup Roasted Cashews optional
- 1 pack Uncle Ben’s Brown & Wild Rice optional
- 1-2 cups chicken or pork cubed (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange pineapple cubes, all bell pepper cubes, lime wedges (if using), and onion cubes on ungreased rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and vegetable oil, sprinkle with brown sugar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss to coat.
Roast pineapple mixture on center oven rack for 30-40 minutes, or until lightly browned, turning once.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes, if using, then drizzle with lime juice. Remove to serving bowl and toss well to combine.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Add roasted cashews & rice, if desired…and heat for a few minutes to allow it to absorb all the juices.
Yummy! Yummy! Plus, virtually no calories – SCORE! To stretch it into a main dish for four, top with 1 cup of roasted cashews and serve it over steamed rice.