Popping Snow is a fun auditory sensory activity. As soon as the candy hits the whipped cream, children can hear the “pop” and “crack.” Popping snow is also a great tactile and gustatory activity, because children can feel the whipped topping in their hands and taste the candy “popping” in their mouths.
How to Make Popping Snow:
- Whipped Cream (such as Cool Whip)
- Pop Rocks
1. Put the whipped cream onto a table or other hard surface.
2. Put the Pop Rocks on top of the whipped cream.
3. Have your child mix them together and listen to the sounds.
Cost to Make Popping Snow:
- Whipped Cream: $1.00
- Pop Rocks: 50¢
Total: just $1.50 for an entertaining sensory activity that your children will enjoy. My children had so much fun that they played with Popping Snow for over an hour!
Every activity has a Teachable Moment! What is a Teachable Moment? It is a time during every craft or project when you can teach your child something about the activity.
1. Read the books The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter’s Wonder by Mark Cassino or The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.
2. Discuss how the whipped cream feels and how the “popping” candy tastes.
What auditory activities do you like to do with your children?
More Winter Snow Fun for Kids:
If your children liked this popping snow activity they will love all of these as well!