Today we are going to be hitting up the heart of the home! Mom’s Manual Day 8 focuses on setting up a kitchen and dining room cleaning plan. Your “eat-in places are Zone 2 – the things that get cleaned on the 2nd week of each month.
You remember that we should spend 15 mins per day cleaning our zone… at the end of the week your zone/focus area should be nice and clean. But, you may need to do some major decluttering first – a good rule of thumb is to start your week with 15 minutes cleaning what you can. For the kitchen: you want to get it clean to the eye FIRST then start decluttering. In other words: the counters, open shelving, sink, and floors all need to be decluttered and scrubbed before you even worry about attacking the places that are closed to the public with doors. 😉
OK, let us get our lists going.
Remember that Zone work is that deep cleaning stuff:
- Window Sills
- Wash Linens
- Shampoo Carpets or spot clean them
- Fan Blades
Go into the following rooms:
- Dining Room
- Breakfast Nook
- Other “eat-in places in your home
Put each room on its own sheet of paper and look around, what all needs doing in these rooms? Make your list – this is Zone/Focus #2 The second week of the month gets devoted to this area.
Here’s mine – Well, this was mine at the time this post was originally written. Since moving in January, I really need to follow along and update all of this for my new home.
Zone 2: The Kitchen & Dining Room
Dining Room Detailed Cleaning List
- Clean the cobwebs
- Dust window sills
- Clean the window
- Clean and straighten any drawer
- Clean off top of Dining table and Polish
- Dust the bottoms of the chairs.
- Dust the baseboards
- Move furniture and vacuum underneath
- Add personal touches to the table (table cloth, pretty flowers)
Kitchen: Details Cleaning List
- Empty refrigerator/clean thoroughly
- Clean microwave inside and out
- clean stove/oven inside and out
- wash canisters and knick-knacks
- straighten drawers/cupboards
- Wipe fingerprints off walls
- Wash inside windows
- Clean ceiling fan
- Clean stove hood/vent and replace filter
- Scrub down cabinet fronts
- Clean fan light globes
- Declutter cleaners, etc under sink
- Clean and sanitize pet dishes