Whenever you cook potatoes, it’s always a great idea to cook extra because it makes for easier meal preparation the next day.
One of the things you can do with leftover potatoes is make some pretty delicious scalloped potatoes.
By the way, if you don’t have leftover potatoes, you can boil some and let them cool before slicing. In this picture, we’ve used new potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or other favorite cheese or mixture
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Next, add the salt and pepper and whisk constantly.
- Once the mixture has thickened a little, gradually add the milk and whisk thoroughly before adding more milk.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is fully thickened.
- Now, it’s time to remove the pan from the stove and stir in the shredded cheese. Stir until combined and serve.
- Thinly slice your leftover potatoes. As mentioned earlier, if you're boiling your potatoes specifically to make this recipe, allow them to cool first or you’ll burn your fingers and end up with crumbly potatoes.
- If you are using leftover cheese sauce, you don’t need to reheat the cheese sauce before using it. Simply drop it by spoonfuls on the potatoes and the heat from the oven will help distribute the sauce evenly.
- Place half the potatoes in an oven-safe dish. Top with half the cheese sauce. Then add another layer of potatoes. Finally top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the baking dish, uncovered, into a 350F oven. In the last 10 minutes of baking, top with some shredded cheese and allow it to brown.
It also helps you if you have some leftover cheese sauce from last night’s dinner too. Perhaps a cheese sauce that you used on steamed cauliflower or broccoli? Make a little extra and then use it the next day in this easy to prepare dish. If you don’t have leftover cheese sauce, you’ll find a recipe below.
This will make about 2 cups of cheese sauce. How much you need for the scalloped potatoes will depend on how many potatoes you’re using and how cheesy you want your potatoes. There is no real right or wrong with this one. However, if you are making a square 9” pan of potatoes like shown in our picture, you probably want at least 1 ½ cups of sauce