Among other things, October is American Cheese Month – celebrate by adding this unit study to your homeschool lessons or weekend/afterschool lessons, and your family will know more than you ever thought possible about cheese. I have compiled a big list below of different resources to help you teach (and learn) all about American Cheese in October!
I have a lot of other great Themed Unit Studies for the kids! Be sure to check them out!
October is… American Cheese Month!
All items in the list below are free unless otherwise stated. *If it is underlined, you can click it!
Specific Days that Coordinate with American Cheese Month:
- October 1st – World Vegetarian Day – Save the cheese, stick with veggies today
- October 2nd – World Farm Animals Day – Cheese comes from milk, milk from cows…
- October 11th – Southern Food Heritage Day – Seriously, anything deep fried, coated in sugar, and/or slathered in cheese in American.
- October 24th – Food Day – American Cheese is certainly food
Fun things to do this month:
- The American Cheese Month Website has an events calendar. Choose your state or area and find out what is happening!
- Learn all about American Cheese from Wikipedia
- The History Channel has a video titled 3 Things You Didn’t Know About Cheese
- These American Cheese Science Projects could be super fun!
Interesting American Cheese Websites:
- American Cheese Society
- American Cheese Education Foundation
- Cheese.com has a section all about American Cheese from fun facts to a listing of all the types of American Cheese – who knew there were different types?
Free Printables for this month:
- Pictographs, Say Cheese!
- Ritz & American Cheese can help- teach the phases of the Moon!
Books to Read this month:
- The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
- On the Subject of Cheese
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma for Kids: The Secrets Behind What You Eat
These are Amazon links and they cost, but you can always check with your local library!
Neat recipes to add to the plan this month:
- Georgia Macaroni with American Cheese
- Make Your Own American Cheese
- Cheesy Corndog Bake – yeah, this has already been printed out. I can see my boys really enjoying it!
- Just have Cheeseburgers!
NOTE: I may occasionally post some things that cost, but will try very hard to keep those items minimal and under 5 dollars each! Sometimes, you just have to spend a bit of money to really get something you want. LOL!
Be sure to leave me a note letting me know your plans for the month and even how it went last month!