Is your home looking a little drab lately? It could be time for a change. No money to spend? You can work with what you already have or check out a home improvement store and bring out your inner do-it-yourself skills. Here are six simple, fun, and inexpensive ways to mix up your décor.
6. Get organized. Rid a room of clutter. Remove things that don’t get used anymore, especially things that are no longer functional. Knick knacks on shelves or décor items on the wall that you don’t like can be removed. Things that are still in good condition can be donated or you can even try to sell them. You should also organize the furniture and get rid of any furnishings that aren’t necessary.
5. Be creative with frames and shelving. Take down all frames and shelves and simply put them back up in a different order. Just mixing this up will create a new look for the wall. If you want to change it up even more, paint the frames or shelves for a different look. This is best to do with those made out of wood. Another idea is to check out thrift stores. They usually have a wall full of cheap frames waiting to get a makeover.
4. Hang up a mirror or two. Mirrors are perfect for wall décor for two reasons: they can either effectively make a small area seem larger or they can act as interesting pieces of art. If you want to make your space look bigger, just a medium or large rectangle mirror will work great. For a decorative mirror, look around for something with an awesome frame.
3. Update your furnishings. This can be a little trickier to do on a budget. Outdated couches and chairs can be covered by slipcovers – you can make these yourself or you can purchase them. For wood furnishings, such as end tables, coffee tables, or shelving units, add a new coat of stain or paint to freshen them up. Or maybe you’d like to add one new piece – again, check those thrift stores or yard sales.
2. Lighten up the room. Many rooms suffer from being too dark. Sometimes all you need to do is change out the ceiling light fixture or add a floor lamp or two to enhance the living space. Another thing to be mindful of is windows. Open up those curtains! You can also breathe new life into a room by bringing in the sunshine. One of the easiest ways to do this is to add a glass insert to your front door. Its economical, fast and one of the easiest ways to spruce up your home.
1. Add a splash of color. Sometimes all it takes is one accent wall. Pick a color to complement your furnishings and paint only one wall. Or go ahead and repaint the whole room. If you’ve got fairly neutral furnishings, buy or make a few throw pillows with colorful designs on the fabric.