Thomas and I are spending a week learning all about the skeletal system. As he is only 8, we aren’t getting too into the official science terms of the bones. However, we will touch on them a tad – but I won’t be “testing” him on them. So, since I am building this lesson plan, it made sense to go ahead and write the post up. If it was that hard for me to find a plan, surely it is hard for you as well! WARNING: This is a long post… however, it has literally everything you need to complete the week-long Skeletal System Unit Study.
I use the Homeschool Tracker Plus to keep organized. I have the download, but it appears as if they now have an online version.
Our Homeschool Subjects:
- Miscellaneous Activities – these are those things that we want to do that don’t really fall under any of our other subjects. If I find that we are using this category often, we will add a new subject. LOL! Right now, I am kind of using it for coloring pages and other things to keep his hands busy while I am reading to him. We will be watching this Skeleton Song on Youtube every day before we start out skeletal lesson.
- Art – Skull Puppet Pattern,
- Reading – We are reading Inside Your Outside, My First Encyclopedia, and Mini Books from Scholastic during this study
- Personal Care – This is bathing, eating, brushing teeth and the like. However, since we are working on the skeletal system, we have also added in a bit of Yoga for Kids for now.
- Handwriting – Over the next 26 days, we are doing a quick reinforcement of the alphabet. Thomas has super horrible handwriting so before we can move on to cursive, we need to clean up his print a bit. So, we are doing the Alphabet Activities worksheets from TLS Books.
- Spelling – Human Body Content Words from Scholastic Printables
- Bible – We are reading a couple pages at a time of Great Bible Stories For Children
- History/Social Studies – Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen and the history of X-Rays – We will use this biography form and begin a notebook about Famous Folks!
- Language Arts – Identifying Nouns using K5 Learning – I just chose 5 worksheets and numbered them 1-5 for the plan
- Math – working on measuring (the last 3 are what I am calling lesson 1, 2, 3) using bones in this printable life-sized skeleton Also, still working on multiplication tables using Math Aids.
- Science – Basically, the entire unit is science 😉 Mr. Skeleton Printable from Scholastic, No Bones About It, Skeleton Game, What is an X-Ray?
Note: the above items are strictly for the stuff we are doing right now. As we do different studies, we will use different products.
Lesson Plan – Learn the Skeletal System
Now that you know all the stuff we are using this week, here is our schedule – if you click the image, you can download a printable of it.
Have fun! After this week, we are moving to the muscular system! With this one, I have a bit more time to plan, so I can order some fun things – or at least that is the plan. LOL!