I love finding new side dish recipes that work well with a number of meals. And we love spicy at my house, like these 15 spicy Rotel Recipes! Anything with a little extra kick will definitely be a hit at my house. And since mac and cheese is always a favorite, I was especially insterested in a new spicy twist on that simple dish.
If you are looking for a new mach and cheese recipe with a kick, be sure to try this yummy recipe for Green Chili Mac & Cheese from the recipe creaters at Mexicue.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/3 cupe chopped roasted poblano peppers
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 pound elbow macaroni cooked al dente
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, add milk, cream, and salsa verde and bring to a simmer.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Slowly add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to create a roux. Cook for approximately five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour the contents of the pot into the roux and combine with a whisk. Gently simmer to thicken (approx. 10-15 minutes). Frequently stir with a wooden spoon to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Stir in the poblanos and cheeses. Add the pepper and salt. Add the macaroni and stir until it is well combined.
- Place the pot into the oven and bake until the top is nicely browned and the sides are bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g