I love finding new drink recipes that are cool and refreshing during the hot summer months. Whether it be a fun Summer Mocktail or a glass of tea. There are so many great flavors of tea, and all of the just as good as the other.
Top Chef judge Gail Simmons has created some new recipes to help Pure Leaf Iced Tea kick off its Love of Leaves campaign at its luncheon in NYC. In addition, every social engagement from fans on Pure Leaf’s Facebook or Tumblr, and use of the #loveofleaves hashtag on Instagram and Twitter, Pure Leaf will donate $1 to Wholesome Wave, an organization focused on increasing access to local foods in underserved communities.
This Watermelon Refresher Tea is a delicious drink for the summer or any time of the year. Make some for yourself, or serve it at your next summer barbecue! Your guests will love it!
- 1 bottle Pure Leaf Sweet Tea
- 4 sprigs tarragon, plus more for garnish
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ seedless hothouse cucumber, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne
- Add tea and tarragon to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a heatproof container and cool thoroughly.
- Combine watermelon and cucumber in a blender. Add lime juice and blend until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher. Add cayenne and stir.
- Pour 1Ž2 cup tarragon tea and 1Ž2 cup watermelon mixture into each of 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish each with a tarragon sprig.
- Note: Step 1 can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. To make a cocktail, add a 1-ounce shot of tequila to each drink.
Gail Simmons, TV personality and Special Projects Director at FOOD & WINE magazine.
If you would like to see more from Gail Simmons, check out her book Talking with My Mouth Full: My Life as a Professional Eater!