Minnie is back with this YUMMY low calorie crab casserole!
Minnie Says: This spicy crab casserole was fantastic when baked until lightly browned and bubbling in the center. Everyone in our family loved it! Served with Roasted Brussel Sprouts (cooked in the oven at the same time as the casserole), Minnie’s Cool Cabbage Slaw, a plate of sliced tomatoes, a side bowl of fresh cantaloupe, and a yummy Green Salad…who could ask for anything better?!?
remade from recipe on kitchenchatter
- ½ c light margarine, melted
- 2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 lb crab claw meat, shell pieces removed
- ½ sleeve crushed Saltine crackers
- ½ c red/yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- ¼ c yellow onion, chopped fine
- ¼ c finely chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire (I left this out)
- 1 tsp each paprika and yellow mustard
- ½ tsp each cayenne pepper and garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter 6 shallow 6 oz. ramekins or a 2 quart casserole. Set aside.
- Heat 5 Tablespoons of the butter in a 2 qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch, and cook, stirring until smooth, about 2 minutes; making a roux. Whisk in the almond milk and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in crabmeat, half the cracker crumbs, bell pepper, onion, half the parsley, lemon juice, the beaten egg, the Worchestershire Sauce (if using it), half the paprika, mustard, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Divide mixture into prepared ramekins or casserole dish; place ramekins on a baking sheet set aside. — In a small bowl, mix remaining butter, crumbs, and paprika until evenly coated; sprinkle on top of casserole or ramekins. Bake until lightly browned and bubbling in the center, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle any remaining crumb mixture over each serving if any is left. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes to allow it to firm up. Serve hot with toast on the side, if desired. Or chow down on your favorite low calorie fruits and veggies as side dishes. Enjoy!
*This was delicious and we loved it…but it was a bit “thinner” in consistency than I had anticipated. I added a beaten egg to my recipe for next time and I will also added instructions to allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. It was yummy nonetheless, even in its thinner consistency!