My favorite Christmas treat is Magic Cookie Bars.
Sure, I love making:
- iced sugar cookies
- pecan pie
- chocolate fudge
…as those are the treats that my mom made. They certainly are a big part of my traditional Christmas baking.
However, Magic Cookie Bars are the part of my Christmas baking that has become integrated into my family’s tradition. It will be carried down along with the other family treats.
These cookie bars are so popular that I know it is not just part of my Christmas tradition.
These cookies are easy to make. In fact, if you check out the sweetened condensed milk cans, on the baking aisle at your grocery store, many have the recipe on the label.
You just sprinkle the layers of ingredients over the melted butter at the bottom of the baking pan.
- First comes the graham cracker crumbs.
- Then you sprinkle the chopped nuts. I like pecans, but you can use walnuts or even a mixture of nuts.
- Finally, sprinkle on the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top and bake.
The following ingredients are affiliate links on Amazon because they may be a bit hard to find in your normal store. I wanted you to be able to see exactly which things we are using.
Reminder, not all ingredients are linked above, just the ones that may be a bit difficult to find or that you might be unsure of what to look for.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarrine melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish).
Coat 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
Mix graham cracker crumbs and butter.
Press into bottom of prepared pan.
Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.
Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork.
Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
The above magic cookie bars recipe is very good and simple to make. You could even have your kids make them!