As a mom and previous homeschooler, LEGO is very important. You can do so many things, as evidenced by my Lego Pinterest Board, for educational play. I LOVE that they are trying so hard to reach people to improve literacy!
LEGO DUPLO is currently working on a big summer-long program called Read! Build! Play! – a partnership between LEGO DUPLO and the ALSC (Association for Library Service to Children) focusing on bringing more play time to story time to promote early literacy.
The program kicked off last week in LA and will be making stops at libraries across the country over the next 3 months. At these free events, families can join LEGO DUPLO play leaders for creative building fun with guided activities, inspirational songs and time for free build. Tailored for children under five, the experience demonstrates how reading coupled with construction play can engage, excite and encourage early literacy development.
For those who can’t attend the library stops, they can visit www.readbuildplay.com to download a program activity guide that offers families tips, suggestions and ideas on how to keep playtime fresh, energetic and educational. Visitors are also encouraged to vote for their local public library branch on the website today-October 1 to support children’s programs. The top three nominated libraries will receive monetary donations from LEGO DUPLO ($2,500, $3,500, $5,000) and the top 200 will receive physical toolkits (including bricks, books and activity guides) to implement play time into their programming.
Don’t these kids look like they are having a blast? Will Read! Build! Play! be coming to a city near you? Here is the most recent list:
· Aug. 4, 10 AM-P.M.: Mississippi Children’s Museum in Jackson, MS
· Aug. 5, 1:30PM-5:30PM: Mississippi Children’s Museum in Jackson, MS
· Aug. 6, 10 AM- 2 P.M.: Jackson Zoological Park in Jackson, MS
· Aug. 9, 10 AM-2PM: Birmingham Museum of Art in Birmingham, AL
· Aug. 10, 10 AM-2 PM: McWane Science Center in Birmingham, AL
· Aug. 12, 10 AM-2 PM: Imagine It! Atlanta Children’s Museum in Atlanta, GA
· Aug. 13, 10 AM-2 PM: LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Atlanta, GA
· Aug. 14, 10:30 AM-11:30 AM: Atlanta-Fulton Central Library in Atlanta, GA
· Aug. 16, 11AM-Noon: John F. Germany Public Library in Tampa, FL
· Aug. 18, 10 AM-7PM: LEGOLAND Aquarium in Winterhaven, FL
· Aug. 19, 1 PM-5PM: Glazer Children’s Museum in Tampa, FL
· Aug. 20 10 AM-5PM: Glazer Children’s Museum in Tampa, FL
DISCLAIMER: I received nothing for this post