May is National Hamburger Month! For those of you who are looking for a veggie alternative to the typical ground beef hamburger, check out these Great Veggie Burger Recipe from Veria.com!
For those of you who love to throw summer parties, make sure to have a vegetarian alternative to offer your family and friends!
The weather is getting warmer and it’s time to get out the grill! For those of you who prefer an alternative without meat, veggie burgers are a great and delicious option! Whether you use soy meat or black bean, check out these great recipes!
The first recipe is a vegetarian burger made with soy meat!
- ⅔ cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 – ½ cups flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tsp chili powder
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- oil for frying (optional)
- Combine the TVP with the vegetable broth in a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes. Once the TVP has soaked up the liquid, add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Mold into patties and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. It’s a good idea to use a light tasting oil for veggie burgers, such as canola or sunflower because olive oil can mask the other flavors.
Or try this Black Bean Alternative!
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed,
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ red or yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 “egg” (for the vegan option, try Ener-G egg replacer)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbspn Ketchup
- Mash the beans in a large bowl or in a food processor and add the rest of the remaining ingredients. Mold into patties, and fry lightly in vegetable oil until lightly seared. Or you can grill or BBQ either veggie burger recipe.
Make either of these veggie burger recipes even healthier by grilling and not frying, using whole wheat buns, no cheese, and top with even more veggies!
Be sure to check out Veria.com for even more great, healthy recipes!