Long hair, short hair, wavy or straight; no matter what kind of hair you have, you’ve probably experienced the Chia Pet look before. You know what I’m talking about – out of control frizzy, flyaway hair that has a mind of its own. My hair has natural curl that I have been fighting for most of my life (you know, I didn’t have hair for the first 5 years or so. LOL!)
While frizz isn’t completely avoidable, there are many things you can do to help prevent and control everyday frizz. If you’re looking for fabulous, frizz-free hair all day long, these tips can help.
10 Tips For Frizzy Hair
1. Only brush your hair when it’s wet. In addition to being brittle, dry hair tends to stretch and break when brushed. After you shower, carefully towel-dry your hair and then gently brush it or use a comb.
2. If you have a habit of ‘playing’ with your hair, stop. The more you mess with your hair after it is dry, the more you disrupt the cuticles, causing it to frizz.
3. Refrain from shampooing daily. Washing your hair too often strips its natural moisturizers causing hair to look dull and flyaway. Try washing every other day. If you must shampoo daily, do so with a brand that is gentle on the hair or try a dry shampoo.
4. Replace moisture. Styling products also strip hair of its natural oils so it’s important that you replace this moisture. When choosing a daily conditioner or deep conditioning treatment, select a protein-rich, natural oil brand when possible.
5. Stop baking your hair! Sure, you can get great looks using a curling iron, flat-iron or blow dryer but these wreak havoc on your hair. There are many beautiful hairstyles available that don’t require daily baking. When you must blow dry, choose the cool-dry setting or use a diffuser to reduce much of the heat. In addition, only dry the roots, not the shaft or ends. This not only reduces damage but it will give your hair a natural lift.
6. Pillow cases have a tendency to absorb your hair’s natural moisturizers and create. Switch to using a satin pillowcase to reduce friction and maintain moisture.
7. Use alcohol-free products. Many hair products contain alcohol which leads to dry out hair, setting the stage for frizz. The next time you purchase hair products, make sure it is alcohol-free. If you cannot find them in your local supermarket, check at a salon or beauty supply store.
8. Smooth it. There are many hair smoothing products you can buy but many are heavy or leave a residue that makes hair look dull. Instead simply add a small amount of watered down conditioner or detangling spray to the palm of your hand and gently smooth over your hair, taking extra care to get the ends.
9. Press hair, don’t scrub. When towel-drying your hair, don’t scrub your head. Instead, using a bath towel or a shammy (a very absorbent microfiber towel); gently press the hair to remove excess water.
10. Eat a healthy, balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables. Choose snacks such as nuts and seeds whose fatty acids keep hair beautiful and healthy looking. The benefits of this practice reach beyond your hair.
What are you waiting for? Say goodbye to the outdated Chia Pet look and hello to the soft, silky, luxurious hair you never thought you could have.
More Beauty Tips:
- 8 Steps to Glamorous Evening Eyes
- 5 Beauty Products Women Can’t Resist
- Makeup Made Easy for Busy Moms
Looking for more fashion and beauty tips? Check out my Pinterest Board with over 1000 pins: