Well, it is that time again – I have been asked back (for the 3rd time) to be a Verizon Wireless Ambassador and this time I have something TOTALLY different. I have always been an Android user but this time I was sent the new HTC Windows 8X Smartphone! The operating system is COMPLETELY different than anything I am use to.
Let me be real here – I was totally disappointed to get this phone… I had been drooling over the HTC DNA since the announcement was made about it. Why was I disappointed when I found out I was getting this phone? Well, the Microsoft App Store is so new that, though they have over 125,000 apps, they don’t have some of the key ones that I turn to every single day. However, they are working on that! So, while I am disappointed that I can’t do instagram on it, there are many things that I am seriously loving about this new phone. In fact, as I was in bed last night trying to figure out parts of it so I could set my alarm clock, I hit the OneNote button and voice recorded some of my thoughts. Cool, right?
This post is just one of the many that I will be writing over the course of learning this phone and it is just my initial thoughts and such. Do not let it sway you either direction… I have only had it a couple days and have LOTS of stuff to learn!
- It is gorgeous! No really, it is a really pretty phone. So, call me weird, but that matters to me.
- It is Microsoft – I use Microsoft Office in every aspect of my daily working life. I LOVE being able to sync my phone with my computer!
- It is not afraid of Apple! Though Microsoft is decidedly PC, this phone integrates (with a simple app download) seamlessly with your Mac computer. It also will play (and sync) with your iTunes library letting you set up your music right there on your phone!
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE! Phones just do not get any faster than this! I said it before and I will say it again… it is just as fast as pen and paper! Maybe faster because I don’t have to search for my phone as I would have to for pen and paper. LOL!
- Live Tiles! Live Tiles are certainly a Windows Phone thing and I already love them. I can customize my home screen in so many ways and not be overwhelmed. I can’t wait to learn more about them and the things that they can do.
- The UH-MAY-ZING camera! The front camera is just as good as the back camera! A Smartphone first for me!
- Missing Key Apps – I REALLY need the pinterest and instagram apps on my phone! As a blogger (well, and a Mom), I use both many times through the day to show off my new items or discuss issues or just to show off my darling Children!
- Way less Free Apps – I love to play games on my phone (and so do my kids) but I am finding that some of the ones that we play are either not there or are not free within the Microsoft App Store as they are within the Android store
- The Learning Curve – There seem to be LOTS of cool things about this phone, but you have to learn them. They aren’t covered in the “Start Here” manual – so the deeper you dig, the cooler it gets. But, the initial thing is kind of frustrating.
Now, let’s see the Initial Cons:
- I will be learning things about my phone over the next few months and writing about my findings. You can also follow the #VZWA hashtag on Twitter to see what cool things the other Ambassadors are finding!
- Note: So far the pros outnumber the cons 2 to 1! Can we chop the cons down and grow the pros even more?