When it comes to tailgating recipes, chicken wings are a must have at a tailgating party. Today I’m sharing on Southern Mom Cooks an easy grilled chicken wing recipe with a smoky chipotle sauce. The Ultimate Tailgating Party is in full swing and nothing says “game day” like some chicken wings slathered in sauce!
I’m Meghan and I blog over at The Tasty Fork. Watching football has a special place in my heart. I met my husband watching football on a Sunday and one of the first things we bonded over was our love of chicken wings. Grilled, baked, fried, sauced or dry rubbed – I haven’t met a chicken wing I didn’t like. Since this is The Ultimate Tailgating Party, I thought cooking up some Chipotle Chicken Wings on the grill would be the perfect way to kick off the tailgating recipes series. I like a grilled chicken wing recipe since they’re usually on the healthier side.
I like my tailgating recipes to be easy and quick. Grilled Chipotle Chicken Wings fall into both categories! This is the cooking method I use for any grilled chicken wing recipe. The wings start off with an easy dry rub and placed fleshy side down on a hot grill. Grill chicken wings 4-5 minutes per side. While the chicken is cooking, make the chipotle sauce. It has only 5 ingredients and are pantry staples in my house. Remove from the grill and place in the chipotle sauce. Let the wings hang out for a few minutes in the sauce to soak in all of the smokey chipotle flavor. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing. (It helps to cool down the mouth from all of that spice!) If you’re more of a fried chicken win type but still want the chipotle flavor, check out this Avocado Chipotle Chicken Wings recipe!
Grilled Chipotle Chicken Wings will be in the hands of hungry football fans in less than 30 minutes! This is the first of several tailgating recipes you’ll be seeing on Southern Mom Cooks. It’s The Ultimate Tailgating Party ~ Touchdown to Tailgating Recipes! Every Sunday, you’ll be seeing a lot more tailgating recipes and the best tailgating products will be part of a weekly giveaway in August. Game Day food is one of my favorite food categories on The Tasty Fork. I’d love to know what are “must haves” when you’re watching football or a big game? It can be anything from a comfy couch, a hot grill or a game to entertain the kids (so you can have some fun!). Let me know in the comments section!
- 1 tsp grill seasoning
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika (regular paprika is fine, too)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 24 chicken wings
- vegetable oil
- 1.5 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp chipotle pepper puree (that's chipotle peppers in adobo in the blender!)
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing
- Combine dry rub spices. Place chicken wings on a large plate or platter. Drizzle oil over wings. Sprinkle dry rub onto wings and use your hands to work in the spices and oil.
- In a large sauce pan, combine all sauce ingredients. Stir until the butter is melted. Bring to a simmer. Taste and add salt & pepper, if needed.
- Brush grill grates with olive oil. Heat the grill to medium - low heat. Grill chicken wings 4-5 minutes per side. When done cooking, add a few chicken wings at a time to the sauce pan with the chipotle sauce. Let the wings hang over for a few minutes in the chipotle sauce. Repeat with all wings. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.