This low calorie sweet & sour, sesame chicken & broccoli stir fry recipe came to me from Minnie! I love to open my inbox and find yummy sounding, low calories recipes from her and you guys do too! Here is the message that accompanied her recipe:
*We just finished eating this tonight—it was absolutely fantastic! We both decided we didn’t need to adjust one single thing in the entire recipe. We had Spicy Cauliflower with Sesame Seeds & Ginger to go along with it and Super Healthy Sesame Wild Rice. A few Green Beans left over from last night rounded it all out! And we are looking forward to Strawberries (they were on sale this week) with Fat free Reddi-Wip for our dessert later on this evening. Yummy! ~Minnie
Low Calorie: SWEET & SOUR SESAME CHICKEN & BROCCOLI STIR-FRY
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon of oil (coconut, sesame, olive,
- or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup red or yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup bell pepper julienne strips (mixed red, yellow, & orange)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or shredded
- 1 cup broccoli florets (either frozen or fresh)
- ¼ cup sweet and sour sauce (I used Kikkoman Sweet & Sour Sauce)
- Cube chicken into desired chunks and set aside.
- Heat oil, over low heat (I used TyLing Naturals Pure Sesame Oil, because that is what I had in my pantry. )
- Add onion & celery, and cook until tender, stirring often.
- Add sesame seeds and chopped garlic, stir to mix together, turn up heat to med-hi, and add chicken.
- Stir-fry until chicken is thoroughly cooked, then add bell pepper strips, carrots, broccoli florets, and sweet and sour sauce. Stir and turn down heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and tender.
- *I add a tablespoon of water or chicken broth, if it begins to get a bit dry while cooking.
The products mentioned in this recipe can be found here:
- Kikkoman Sweet & Sour Sauce Mix, 2.125-Ounce Packages (Pack of 24)
- Ty Ling Sesame Oil, 6-Ounce Glass (Pack of 6)