Fall is around the corner, and with the cooler temperatures of fall I love to make some great soup recipes! If you have never tried French Onion Soup, or love it but think it’s too hard to make on your own, check out this recipe inspired by the new movie My 100 Foot Journey!
In honor of the new movie coming out this summer, Le Cordon Bleu has an awesome French Onion Soup Recipe for you to try.
- 2 lb 3 oz Onions, sliced
- 5¼ oz Unsalted Butter
- 2 oz Flour
- 8 oz Dry White Wine
- 1½ qt Water
- 1 pc Bouquet garni
- 1¾ oz Glace de viande (optional, for color and flavor)
- Salt and White Pepper
- ½ pc French Baguette, sliced
- 3¼ oz Butter, clarified
- 4 fl. oz Heavy Cream (optional)
- 1 oz Port wine (optional)
- 3½ oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Preheat overn to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the onions, remove the roots, and slice thinly. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions until soft and lightly colored.
- Add the flour and cook until it starts to take on some color (1 to 2 minutes).
- Deglaze with white wine and allow the liquid to reduce by half before adding the water. Add the bouquet garni, season to taste, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 45 minutes. Optional: Add some glace de viande for more color.
- Slice the baguette and lightly toast it in the overn, then lightly butter the top side of each slice and sprinkle with cheese. Place the bread back in the oven until the cheese is just melted but not colored.
- Set aside.
- Remove the bouquet garni from the soup and discard. Optional: Whisk the port wine into the cream and ladle some hot soup into the cream to temper. Off the heat, stir the cream back into the hot soup.
You can find recipes and more from Le Cordon Bleu in some of these great cookbooks:
Also, make sure you head on over to THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY Facebook page (http://facebook.com/100footjourneymovie ) to enter the #My100FootJourneySweeps for a chance to win a trip for 2 to the south of France!
Like THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY on Facebook: http://facebook.com/100footjourneymovie
Follow THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY on Twitter: https://twitter.com/the100ftJourney
THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY arrives in theaters everywhere on August 8th!