I cannot get enough simple carrot recipes – it’s one vegetable that’s always in season and affordable, not to mention the kids love it! This Simple Carrot Salad is perfect for prepping the night before – or making a large batch and enjoying throughout the week.
This simple carrot salad is French-inspired, but can be altered with additional ingredients however you’d like! It is a great basic recipe that adapts to new spices or veggie additions well, making it a great recipe to have in your repertoire. My daughter likes hers with shredded apple and cucumber, and we’ve also replaced the oil with a bit of mayonnaise for a creamy version of this carrot salad. So far we have not stumbled on a combination that hasn’t worked!
Recently, we’ve been going through a bit of an Aladdin phase at my house, so I’m using the opportunity to introduce the kids to Moroccan and Arabic flavorings. Sprinkling some Zatar or Sumac on this simple carrot salad is a great way to kick up the flavor, but it’s completely optional and the salad is still delicious without it.
Also, feel free to replace the Dijon mustard with a whole grain mustard or honey mustard. This is really a salad where you can customize the ingredients to suit your palate and nothing is lost.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 finely sliced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon zatar, optional
- Shred the carrots and place in a large container.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the garlic and replace any wilted parsley.
- Add the zatar if using and serve.
What’s your favorite easy salad recipe?