Yes, cake in a bread machine! Awesome, right? I had no idea that you could make cakes in the bread machine until trying this little bad-boy out. Oh my goodness, it is so yummy!
This post wraps up my review of the 300 best bread machine recipes cookbook, but that doesn’t wrap up my using it. It has quickly become my go-to cookbook for breads and my family loves to come home from school (and work) to find the house smelling so yummy! Really, there isn’t much that smells better than baking bread (or cake)!
- 1 package (18 oz/510 g) yellow, golden 1
- or lemon pudding cake mix
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten 3
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil 75 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest 10 mL
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 45 mL
- Measure cake ingredients into baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Insert pan into the oven chamber. Select Cake Cycle.
- Halfway through mixing time, using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of baking pan and kneading blade.
- When signal sounds indicating the end of cycle, test for doneness with a wooden skewer. If ready, remove baking pan from bread machine. If not, keep in bread machine on Keep Warm Cycle for 10 to 30 minutes or on Bake Cycle until baked.
- Syrup: In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sugar and lemon juice. Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- With a long wooden skewer, poke several holes through the cake as soon as it is removed from the bread machine. Spoon warm syrup over the hot cake. Set baking pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Turn cake out onto a serving plate and set aside to cool completely.
Makes 1 cake
Tip: Using a cake mix may seem like “cheating” — but with all the fresh lemon flavor in this recipe, no one will ever know your secret! We always keep a cake mix in the cupboard for emergencies.
Variation: For an orange version of this cake, substitute orange juice and zest for the lemon, both in the cake and the syrup.
Excerpted from 300 Best Bread Machine Recipes by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt
© 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca All rights reserved: May not be reprinted without publisher permission.