Go! Diego! Go!
Do your kids love Dora or Diego?
We never got much into Dora, but Diego is a huge hit around this house. Even my 1.5 year old begs for him. I love Diego because there is a ton of learning going on in every episode and the show isn’t really that annoying to grown-ups.
As you may know, baby Jaguar is Diego’s sidekick and even stars in a few episodes like “Jaguar Saves the Day” and “Journey to Jaguar Mountain”. Since my little Chipmunk (age 3) is such a big fan, we decided to do a “J is for Jaguar” day.
What You Need:
- Jaguar coloring page (I grabbed by at Super Coloring Pages)
- Cheerios (we used the multi-colored cheerios)
- Glue and paintbrush
What You Do:
Print off the Jaguar coloring page and lay out the supplies for the kids.
Show kids how to “paint” a little glue on the page and then put a cheerio on the Jaguar to create a fun spot.
Be careful that the kids don’t apply too much glue or the paper might rip. You could also use a glue stick for this activity.
Also, warn the kids that the Cheerios are not for eating! They might end up eating some glue by mistake. Yuck!
More Resources and Printables!
- The “All About” chart would be a great supplemental activity for this project.
- Fun Diego Printables! African Safari Animals
- Diego and Friends “Wall Stickers” Free Printables
- Diego Artic Animal ID Cards (they’ve got a Polar Bear!)
Toddler Coordinating Activity
Got a little one at your feet that you’d like to involve as well? Hand him a Jaguar coloring sheet to either color with crayons or fingerpaint on. You could also teach the little one what Jaguar’s say. I’m sure they would love to “roar” as they learn more about these giant cats.
Things to Check Off Your List
Are you using a preschool checklist? If so, you can check off these things off your list:
- Recognizes circles (review the shape of a Cheerio before beginning)
- Counts orally through 10 (count the spots after you’re done)
- Counts objects in a one-on-one correspondence
- Follows simple directions
- Knows common zoo animals
Stay tuned next week for a fun Valentine’s Day product review!
About the Author:
Lindsey Whitney is a blogger over at Growing Kids Ministry. A blog designed to help parents, teachers, and Children’s Ministry workers who want to help the kids they love grow in their faith. You can connect with her via twitter or on facebook.