The weather has been super cold all over the country! The best way to warm a body up is to fill it full of warm foods – plus, spicy things can help raise your body temperature. So, this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe helps fit the bill with it being a warm soup AND spicy 🙂 Plus, aside from some garnishes, most people have all the ingredients on hand – making this a very easy meal to whip up.
Since all the ingredients are pretty much cooked before putting together, if you would rather (I pretty much always rather) you can add it to the crockpot. Just turn it on low and allow it to cook 4-6 hours. Then, the house smells super yummy, too!
- 2 muffins of seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (10 ounce) cans of Rotel in your choice of flavors. I like mild.
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Tortilla Chip Strips
- Avocado Slices
- In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, rotel, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
More Mexican Recipes:
If you like this, I am sure you will enjoy some of my other spicy recipes!