Asparagus is an amazing and versatile vegetable with so many great health benefits, and with great asparagus recipes like this Asparagus Linguine with poached eggs, getting your five a day is not only easy – it’s delicious.
Now, you could make some of your asparagus into “vegetable noodles” for a literal asparagus linguine, shaving them down with a vegetable peeler and then frying them. However, I decided to take the easier route and just chop them before frying so I could focus on making perfect poached eggs.
This asparagus linguine recipe makes the asparagus so delicious that you will have no need to hide it amongst the noodles. When you break into the freshly poached egg, it creates a luxurious and creamy sauce with the olive oil dressing, coating the noodles and asparagus and making this one of the best pasta dishes you will ever taste.
I love adding hot chilli pepper flakes to mine for a touch of heat, but you can keep things simple with just a bit of salt and pepper.
The real secret to this recipe is knowing how to properly poach an egg.
To poach an egg, you want to add just a touch of vinegar to a pot of boiling water. Too much vinegar and your egg will take on the taste – you are only using vinegar to help the proteins bond together, and that takes just about a tablespoon or two.
Crack your eggs into a small dish and then carefully lower the dish into the boiling water and turn the egg out into the water. Grab a slotted spoon or spatula and pay attention.
Once the egg starts to turn from clear to white, use the spoon to carefully fold any flattened or floating pieces of egg back over the top of the main egg, almost like you are wrapping the yolk with the white of the egg.
Allow to cook until completely white, and then carefully remove. The perfect poached egg will release a hot liquid yolk when cut in half, so you want to do this step right before you are ready to eat.
- Handful linguine, uncooked
- 1 lb asparagus
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Red chili pepper flakes, optional
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan, and bring a second pot of water to a boil.
- Chop the asparagus as fine as you'd like, and then add to the hot olive oil, stirring occasionally. Remove once they receive a light golden brown char.
- When the water for the eggs has reached a boil, add the vinegar.
- Use a small dish to carefully add the eggs, one at a time, to the boiling water. Be careful not to crowd them by cooking too many at once.
- Use a slotted spoon to fold the egg white over the egg yolk, forming a cocoon for the yolk. Cook until the egg is a solid white.
- Drain the pasta, toss with remaining olive oil and the asparagus, season with salt and pepper.
- Portion the pasta out into your serving dishes and then top each serving with a poached egg.
- Serve immediately.
What is your favourite way to enjoy asparagus?
Check out some of my other delicious vegetable-based recipes, including: