Here’s a guest post with thanks to Andrea Green of The Greenbacks Gal.
It’s summertime, which means it is the perfect time for a cool, refreshing glass of homemade iced tea.
Not only is homemade tea delicious, it is full of two powerful antioxidants: polyphenols and flavonoids. These antioxidants not only ward off cancer, they can reduce your chance of a stroke and lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
Why brew homemade tea instead of bringing home the bottled stuff?
First, research has shown that bottled tea loses it’s antioxidants the longer it sits in a bottle. Since you have no way of knowing how long tea has been in the bottle, you have no way of knowing how many antioxidants have been lost.
Second, when you make tea at home, you can control the amount of sweetener you add. Did you know the average American is now consuming an extra 400 calories a day by drinking them? There are so many delicious flavors of tea, it is fun to experiment and find what you like – even without any added sweetener!
Finally, brewing up a pitcher of tea is cheap! The average glass of tea costs only $0.05/glass. That makes tea one of the cheapest healthy drink choices you can make!
Here are some of my family’s favorite Homemade Iced Tea Recipes:
Homemade Iced Tea Recipes
1. Fizzy Homemade Ice Tea This iced tea combines tea, fruit juice and carbonated water to make a soda-like drink that is tall on flavor but short on all the artificial stuff like additives and preservatives.
2. Strawberry Apple Homemade Sweet Tea Here’s the deal: Make this now and thank me later. Perfect for a BBQ or picnic.
3. Homemade Herbal Iced Tea I’ve got some great recommendations for herbal iced teas your kids will love as well as a 2-4-6 brewing method that makes a perfect pitcher of herbal iced tea every time.
4. Green Tea Mock-Jito The mild flavor of green tea makes it the perfect background flavor for lime and mint. Don’t worry. This recipe is family friendly!
5. Never Bitter Homemade Sun Tea Recipe I’ve got the secrets to making great sun tea. Never sip a bitter glass again.
6. The Best Homemade Sweet Tea Recipe Find out my secret to the best homemade sweet tea recipe.
Looking for more tea inspiration? Follow my Tea Pinterest Board.
What if you could find affordable organic and eco-friendly products on a budget? Eco-friendly moms need affordable solutions. Andrea Green, of The Greenbacks Gal, is an organic coupon expert. She finds the best green deals, helping hundreds of families save on the frugal, green lifestyle. Nothing makes her happier than to help people realize being organic doesn’t have to cost more. Find out what she’s currently into here and be sure to like her facebook page.