The recipe on the back of a box of Cake Mix is lackluster. You don’t have to follow box cake mix recipes exactly, you know… Janine LaTulippe shares how she takes a box of cake mix and makes it into several different desserts or just a more fun cake. Here are 5 ways to jazz up a box cake mix!
1. More Fat in Your Box Cake Mix!
If you want a better box cake mix you need to substitute butter for the oil and double the amount your recipe calls for. If you are on a diet, use applesauce instead of the extra oil or butter. It won’t be as flavorful, but it will help it stay moist.
2. Make it Eggcellent!
Add an extra egg or two to make your cake mix recipe extra rich and fluffy.
3. Water Strike.
Water is drying out your cake! Use milk (chocolate milk?) or soda instead like this Strawberry Soda Pop Cake. What flavor of soda pop cake will you make?
4. Be Adventurous!
Throw stuff in there! Here are a few ideas. Try adding one or more to your box cake mix!
Extra vanilla, strawberry, or almond flavoring.
2 tablespoons of peanut butter or nutella.
Your favorite candy bars
Chopped fresh fruit!
I like to make Poke Cake and fill the holes with Jello or pudding.
5. Make Cake Mix Cookies.
You can make any cake mix into cookies! Think of the possibilities; double chocolate chip, chocolate peppermint, rocky road. Can you tell I like chocolate? Just follow this simple recipe:
- 15.25oz box cake mix
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ½ cup mix-ins like chocolate chips (optional)
- frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Stir cake mix, eggs, oil and milk until combined. Stir in mix-ins.
- Make 1inch balls with spoons or a cookie scoop and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet or parchment. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing. Frost immediately if you are using frosting or making sandwich cookies.
Try one or more of these alterations to your cake mix recipe and never eat a nasty, dry, flavorless boxed cake again!
Janine LaTulippe is a Mother of 3 blessings under the age of 5. She also has an in-home preschool and is currently teaching 3 other children. She blogs at True Aim where you will find simple parenting tips, exciting learning activities, and ways to instill Christian values in your children. If you have a preschooler, make sure you check out her advanced preschool curriculum.
More Ways to Use Box Cake Mix:
- Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book: More Than 375 Delectable Cookie Recipes That Begin with a Box of Cake Mix
- Cake Mix Cookies: More Than 175 Delectable Cookie Recipes That Begin With a Box of Cake Mix
- The Cake Mix Doctor – create 150 desserts using a box of cake mix!