Zucchini takes the place of pasta, and turkey takes the place of beef in this recipe, making it lower in calories than most other lasagna dishes. Add in lots of yummy veggies and fat free cheese, and it is perfect to help us stay fit—and oh so delicious!
- 20 oz. Butterball 97% extra lean ground turkey
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced (red, yellow, green, orange-I mix them)
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch thick strips.
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (or ¼ cup EggBeaters)
- ½ cup Kraft fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey until evenly brown. Drain and reserve juices. Mix the onion, bell pepper, carrots, garlic, and tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender. ( Add back in some of the reserved juices if it starts to get too dry.)
- In the bottom of the prepared baking dish, layer ½ the zucchini strips. In a bowl, beat together the cottage cheese and egg, and spread over the zucchini. Scoop ½ the turkey mixture over the cottage cheese and egg mixture, and sprinkle with ½ the cheddar cheese. Layer with remaining zucchini, beef mixture, and cheddar. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to sit 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
I actually made this recipe and divided it into 4 small casserole dishes, since there are only two of us at home right now. I cooked one and froze the other 3 with my new FoodSaver for a meal later in the month, when I may not have time to cook. It was sooooo fantastic and sooooo easy!!!