There are many varieties of Winter Squash and many many ways to cook each of them! Did you know that January is Winter Squash Month? To celebrate, you could have a totally different meal each day in January and never have the same type of food twice. LOL! In honor of this fun month, I have scoured the internet to find some yummy Winter Squash Month Recipes for you (and me) to put through the kid-friendly taste test!
Winter squash is one of winter’s wonderful seasonal vegetables that sometimes gets overlooked. Because it’s considered in season in fall and winter, winter squash is an affordable way to eat fresh, whole foods when the traditional growing season is over.
Of course, squash doesn’t grow in the middle of winter in temperate climates; but squash vines yield in late summer and early fall, and they keep so well that they continue to be available through the winter.
Winter squash comes in a variety of shapes, colors, and textures, some of them quite dramatic. Remember, no matter what variety of winter squash you’re using, the seeds can be roasted and eaten.
Winter Squash can actually be found all year long, (as can summer squash), but for fun sake here is a list of a few of the most popular winter squashes and some recipes to go along with them:
Acorn Squash: Winter Squash Month Recipes
These pretty, dark-green squash are usually quite affordable and easy to find. They are particularly good cooked with apples in sautés, soups, and desserts.
- Baked Acorn Squash – I love how these are baked right in the shell – so cool!
- Savory Squash Crumble – actually this recipe calls for 3 different types of squash, but I just put it in this section. LOL!
- Apple & Raisin Stuffed Acorn Squash – hmm, that sounds very interesting!
Butternut Squash: Winter Squash Month Recipes
The sweet, orange flesh of butternut squash is reminiscent of sweet potato, and can be substituted for sweet potatoes in some recipes.
- Yummy, Lo-Cal Roasted! This is a recipe from Minnie and boy, she doesn’t disappoint!
- Butternut Squash, Pear, & Yogurt Soup – Such a yummy sounding sweet dish and oh so healthy!
- Butternut Squash Risotto – Yummy recipe full of tips for choosing a squash, peeling one, etc!
- A healthy alternative to potato fries… these yummy Squash Fries!
- Apple & Butternut Soup – what a very interesting combination!
- Here’s another, slightly different Butternut Squash Risotto recipe
- Butternut Squash Pasta Bake – Oh man, this looks YUM and I am totally in love with the orange casserole dishes.
- Easy Butternut Squash Soup from Scratch – I just love how pretty this is!
- Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard recipe – so beautiful! I love all the colors in this dish – oh my… YUM!
- Squash & Sausage Chili – in Chili?? Why have I never considered that? Totally adding this to my “to try” pile!
- Cheddar Ale Soup – Oh yeah baby, this looks divine! Everything is better with cheddar!
Spaghetti Squash: Winter Squash Month Recipes
This is an interesting squash with noodle-like flesh that remains a bit crisp even after being cooked. It’s a low-carb way to enjoy tasty strands and increase your veggie intake.
- Garlic Sauteed Spaghetti Squash – Super simple side dish!
- No point in reinventing the wheel – here is a collection of 15 spaghetti squash recipes! Enjoy
- Chef This Up! Has some yummy looking Spaghetti Squash Veggie Balls!
Do you have a favorite Winter Squash? What about a Winter Squash Month Recipe to go along with it?